Generally, finals week puts me in a state of semi-permanent gloom, but I did crack a smile today when this random, weirdo oatmeal came out totally awesome.
I rediscovered oatmeal today. What a beautiful thing.
Savory Spinach Oats
- 1/4 cup uncooked steel cut oats
- 1 cup (~80 grams) frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup ground beef style vegetable or soy protein crumbles (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Boil 1 cup of water and then stir in oats, reducing heat to medium.
2. Let cook for about five minutes. Taste test the oats; they should be about halfway done, so still pretty chewy.
3. Stir in frozen spinach and nutritional yeast. Continue to simmer on medium heat about five minutes or until spinach is thawed and oats are at your preferred chewiness level.
4. Stir in marinara, protein crumbles, and salt and pepper. Cook another 1-2 minutes to evenly heat all ingredients.
5. Serve immediately, adding more salt or pepper if desired.
Oh yeah, there was another thing that made me smile today: this gorgeous weather! I had to buy those sunglasses to keep from squinting.
This recipe may seem a bit strange, but seriously, try it. It's awesome, especially when you've got five finals staring you in the face.
Wish me luck!